High Level Objectives.
The Ocean Practices created a framework of high-level objectives to guide program actions and define and monitor outcomes. These objectives are:
- HLO 1: Enable the development, adoption, and continuous evolution of context-sensitive methodologies and best practices related to ocean research, operations and applications to support the UN Ocean Decade objectives and goals;
- HLO 2: Accelerate the co-development and convergence of methodologies across ocean communities into community-accepted, trusted and interoperable best practices and standards;
- HLO 3: Sustain a trusted and FAIR- and CARE-compliant system through which the ocean community permanently archives and accesses its methods, standards, guidelines and other methodological content;
- HLO 4: Expanding from HLO 3, facilitate the creation of a federated network of complementary and seamlessly interoperable methodology management systems, bringing together UN IGOs, non-UN IGOs, NGOs, regional and global programs, projects and the private sector; and
- HLO 5: Foster community-led capacity development in ocean best practices to enable equitable access to information, technology and knowledge and facilitate more ocean science that is fit for purpose.
This is an initial list of outcomes. Over the Ocean Decade, these will evolve as various activities are co-designed with partners and other stakeholders. The outcomes currently envisioned are:
- A participatory ocean where all ocean stakeholders can discover, understand, and co-develop the next generation of ocean practices with increased equity, accelerating inclusive capacity exchange and development
- An oceanwide community of practice where local, regional, and global stores of evolving ocean knowhow and methodology are collectively safeguarded as a shared resource and trust for current and future generations to draw from in the creation of new practices for opportunities and threats we have yet to imagine.
- A new commons of practitioner wisdom through which diverse experience across ocean stakeholders are readily available to guide the selection and endorsement of practices for use across regions, operational realities, and value systems of ocean communities in their support of science and sustainable development converge innovative methodologies into endorsement of methods
- An ocean of holistic methods where technologies and new, open paradigms of methodology development and communication bring disciplines together in support of holistic methods, realizing transparency and advanced interoperability across disciplines and stakeholders
- A future-facing federation of digitized knowhow for technology transfer and capacity development which equips all partners with interoperating digital archives of ocean practice, creating a global network to support the integration of methodologies into the digital ocean ecosystem.